Friday, April 6, 2018

Loving the Secret Billionaire (A Love at Last Novella) by Adriana Anders


Blurb:

I was a loner for a reason. I had too many secrets, too much to hide, and way too much at stake. So, when a stranger showed up at my door, with her talk of saving the world, I should have sent her away. I didn’t. I had to have her, even if I was a criminal...and a virgin. So, I let her in, made her mine. Then everything went to hell. And I had to decide, just how far would I go to keep my woman?

Review:

I originally read Loving the Secret Billionaire by Adriana Anders when it was a short snippet of a story in the Rogue Desire Anthology.  Adriana Anders rightfully decided that the story of Veronica and Zach was one that needed to be expanded on (thank the Lord).  When she reached out for readers the conversation went something like this:

Adriana: I need readers for my novella Loving the Secret Billionaire.
Me: Me.
Her: You know you already read this story in Rogue Desire, it’s just been expanded.
Me: Don’t care.  Me.  Send it.  Please.  Please.  Please.

And so she took pity on me and sent it along.

Novellas are interesting because you have to put aside some of the realistic progression of relationships in order to fit everything inside of a little package.  That being said, I thought that Loving the Secret Billionaire was wonderfully done in such a way that it covered everything it needed to but didn’t feel eye-rollingly cliché, just the typical novella cliché.  When I finished the book I started to write this review and realized I couldn’t remember the title.  When I scrolled back to the front of my e-book I was surprised to re-learn it because I don’t feel that this story has all that much to do with Zach being a billionaire.  So if you're thinking this will be your typical billionaire romance (read: bad boy, wealthy man with no respect, etc, etc, etc) then you're going to be wildly surprised.

Usually when I read a romance novel the hero suffers from a bad attitude, rakish behavior, or just generally being an asshole.  Just in the last few months though I’ve had the pleasure of reading more and more romance novels where the hero (and sometimes even the heroine) suffer from a diagnosed disability.  It’s a progressive step for the romance genre.

Zach isn’t your typical hero.  For one, he’s blind.  It was definitely a new and enjoyable to read experiences from the perspective from someone who cannot see the physical world around him them.  Adriana Anders had to get creative with descriptions and it made the entire story a unique read.  Zach is a recluse, spending most of his time behind the screen of a computer and little time interacting with people in real life.  I loved watching him learn to love another person and balance wanting to do everything for Veronica, who only wants to show the world that she can do this on her own.

Veronica is a preschool teacher who has finally had enough with the negative political climate she’s faced with every day.  She decides to do something about it by running for office against a wealthy, experienced politician.  She was spunky, quirky, and outgoing, but not without some realistic hesitance to the veil of secrecy surrounding Zach.

I wasn’t expecting the chemistry between them to be as unbelievably hot as it was.  I guess I just figured an inexperienced blind man and a budding politician might take things a little more tame in the bedroom.  Not so.  This is some sweat-producing, gasp-worthy stuff between these pages.  Again, I loved that Veronica and Zach were forced, due to Zach’s disability, to communicate more verbally than other couples might be required to because it led to a lot of dirty talk.  Who doesn’t love dirty talk?

All in all, Loving the Secret Billionaire is a spicy novella worth a read, especially if you, like so many others, are into political awareness and rising up against the current state of affairs.  That said, it’s also good read for someone who just wants a short, passionate couple hours spent with a unique pairing of characters.  This novella is a respectable length and it's out April 19th and it's only .99 cents.  You can pre-order it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment