Thursday, June 8, 2017

Chasing Red by Isabelle Ronin

Title: Chasing Red
Author: Isabelle Ronin
Publication Date: September 5, 2017
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark

Blurb: He had everything- wealth, adoration, a brilliant future.  Until one chance encounter changed everything.  The moment Caleb Lockhart spotted the mysterious woman in her siren-red dress, he couldn't tear his eyes away.  For the first time in his life he wanted something.  Something he knew he could never have.

The unforgettable stranger he dubs Red.

Review:

Chasing Red by Isabelle Ronin was… interesting.  It was one of those books where I picked it up expecting one thing and I got a completely different thing and now I have to reconcile those thoughts with one another.  It’s a confusing process.

First things first, beautiful cover.  I absolutely love looking at; all bright and happy and welcoming.  I’m always excited about a good cover, even though I try not to judge by them (book blogger humor).

Chasing Red is one of those books that hit popularity on the popular writing site WattPad and was selected for publication by Sourcebooks.  Books that take this path in life are a curious sort.  It’s been my experience that these sorts of books are not the same books that might hit the bestsellers list had they been published in the mainstream manner.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  Sometimes mainstream publication paths have a way of shutting down certain types of books until their audience stands up and cries out: “This needs to be published!”

I’m not going to lie and say that this book blew me away, but neither am I going to say that I didn’t like it. I think those that will like this book the best are going to be fans of 50 Shades of Grey or Colleen Hoover; books that have incredible amounts of drama and passion, but little else (re: mystery, crime, some other subplot).  The romance between the main characters is the story here, so it doesn’t need anything else.  It’s a perfect vacation read that will have you turning the pages to see what sort of trouble the couple gets into next.

If you want your books with levels of intellectual depth, mature characters, and maybe a murder mystery or two then Chasing Red probably isn’t for you.  I tend to fluctuate between drama, drama, drama books that give me an escape from reality and incredibly intense books that have me more panicked than before I sat down to read.  This is the former.  If you want to read something that will let you immerse yourself in another world and someone else’s problems for a couple hours then you’ve found it.

You know what you like to read.  And by now you know whether this book is for you or not.  I think it will make some readers very happy.


You can pre-order it here for your Kindle, but as always consider supporting your local indie bookstore.  To find your closest store click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment