Sunday, June 4, 2017

A New Leash on Love by Debbie Burns

Title: A New Leash on Love
Author: Debbie Burns
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: July 4, 2017

Blurb from Goodreads:

When Craig Williams draws the short straw and has to take his daughter’s adorable new puppy to a shelter after the holidays, it’s just another painful episode in the fall-out of a miserable divorce. He needs to pick up the pieces of his life, and, after a fiery confrontation with Megan Anderson, the young woman running the shelter, he wants to put the whole episode behind him. However, when he keeps finding new ways to reconnect with her, he realizes Megan’s compassionate and caring nature just might be the perfect salve for his broken heart.

Review:

There’s a lot of things I loved about A New Leash on Love and a few things that made me sort of roll my eyes.  Not necessarily in a bad way, after all, it’s impossible to write a romance novel without a few cliches, but I do prefer to roll my eyes as little as possible while reading.  I’ll let you make up your own mind.

A New Leash on Love is a contemporary romance novel filled with innocence and puppies.  The passion in this novel burns light pink, not red hot, so if you’re looking for something to make you blush and sweat while you read this isn’t going to be the sort of novel for you.  It’s the sort of book you wouldn’t think twice about reading curled up next to your mom.  Sweet, and warm, and just a little bit frustrating.  The perfect combo for a relaxing afternoon read.

Craig and Megan meet with a whirlwind of sparks.  I love sparks.  However, those sparks taper out into a soft glow throughout the novel with a few attempts to relight, but never fully reigniting.  Some people love their books explosive and other people don’t want something that makes their heart explode, they just want something that will make their heart do a delightful pitter patter.  That’s this book.

These characters, and their stories, are believable.  Megan could be the girl at the supermarket.  Craig could be the guy at the gym.  I find something pleasing about that.  So many novels build characters that are above and beyond the people we see every day that you start wondering if these characters could even exist.  Debbie Burns’ story lets you know that they do.

Who could dislike a book with such a large focus on animal welfare?  If you’ve ever owned a pet you’ll love Megan’s devotion to her animal shelter.  Learning about all her adorable charges made me want to go out and snatch up a couple more cats and some dogs to boot.  If only my landlords allowed more than two pets…

One of the portions of the book that had me going ‘hmmm’ was that everything seemed to work out in the character’s favor.  Okay, not everything, but it’s like Ms. Burns couldn’t give us more than a couple pages of suspense before she felt obligated to fix the problem.  I personally prefer a little more “will it work out?” in my books, but someone who doesn’t want their heart palpitating dangerously will be the perfect candidate. 

I, also, tend to have a problem with characters meeting, falling in love, and living happily ever after in a short time span. I either want my characters to have known each other previously or for the passion to be that over the top that they decide they have to be together forever or they’ll simply die.  I need to believe that they couldn’t find what they have anywhere else.  Megan and Craig’s relationship was sweet, but I don’t know that I’m believing it’s the end all-be all relationship that a romance novel should have.  It felt a teeny bit rushed.  Maybe I’m being picky though because I have no qualms about someone jumping into bed with a stranger… Who knows.

If the book sounds like something you might enjoy you can pre-order it here, but as always consider supporting your local indie bookstore.  Find your closest store here.







No comments:

Post a Comment