Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Most Unlikely Duke by Sophie Barnes

Title: A Most Unlikely Duke: Diamonds in the Rough
Author: Sophie Barnes
Publication Date: July 27, 2017
Publisher: Harper Collins

Blurb: 
He never thought he’d become a duke, or that the secrets of his past will cost him his greatest love...

Raphe Matthews hasn’t stepped foot in polite circles since a tragedy left his once-noble family impoverished and in debt. The bare-knuckle boxer has spent the last fifteen years eking out an existence for himself and his two sisters. But when a stunning reversal of fortunes lands Raphe the title of Duke of Huntley, he’s determined to make a go of becoming a proper lord, but he’ll need a little help and his captivating neighbor might be just the woman for the job…

After her sister’s scandalous match, Lady Gabriella knows the ton’s eyes are on her. Agreeing to tutor the brutish new duke can only lead to ruin. Although she tries to control her irresistible attraction to Raphe, every day she spends with him only deepens her realization that this may be the one man she cannot do without. And as scandal threatens to envelope them both, she must decide if she can risk everything for love with a most unlikely duke.

Review:  
I'm having some deja vu here re: falling in love with men's accents through the pages of a book.  I mean, I'm not even hearing them talk.  I'm hearing my own voice in my head but somehow I'm attracted to it.  And I feel weird about that, but I'm not going to question it right now.  A Most Unlikely Duke by Sophie Barnes is a wild ride of romance, annoyed butlers, and hot accents.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that rough and tumble Raphe is the kind of guy who drifts through your dreams at night.  He's the best guy from the worst of circumstances and the best part?  He's just trying to do what's best for his little sisters.  Doesn't it make your heart go thump thump thump against your breastbone?  Just mine?  Sigh.

This was such a cute story. Raphe is dreamy.  His sisters are adorable.  The bad guy is bad. The parents don't understand (of course).  And the girl, oh man, the girl is a little dopey.  Although, I suppose if I lived in a time where women had to make choices that didn't align with what they wanted from their life I might be a little hesitant to let the most handsome man ever love me.

Gabriella is a really quirky, fun character.  So many Regency novels have strong, independent women willing to break society's rules for true love.  Gabriella wants to do that, but she's being pulled down by familial pressures.  And she really struggles.  It's sort of refreshing to see, or read, that struggle.

This novel was sort of light in drama, compared to some of the other Regency novels I've read, but it was still there.  There was plenty of content to make your heart sing, your pulse speed up, and your hands tired from turning pages so quickly.  I don't think you'll be disappointed if you pick up A Most Unlikely Duke.

If the book sounds like something you might enjoy you can pre-order it here, but as always consider supporting your local indie bookstore.  Find your closest store here.


No comments:

Post a Comment