Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The Other Lady Vanishes by Amanda Quick


Last week I was lucky enough to finally meet my idol, Jayne Ann Krentz at a book signing event at Anderson’s Bookshop.  As a bonus I also got to meet Christina Dodd and Susan Elizabeth Phillips!  I waited for months for this event and promised myself that, as an experienced blogger, I would be cool, calm, and collected when I met Jayne.  Well, that didn’t happen.  I talked so much and rambled on about my obsessive love for her for what felt like ages.  I could meet Chris Pratt on the street and not fangirl half as hard as I did with Jayne.  (Insert face palm here).

Is it even fair for me to review Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle books when I’m so freaking obsessed with her? Probably not, but I don’t care because everyone needs to hear about this insanely amazing work of fiction.

The Other Lady Vanishes is the second book in her new series under the Amanda Quick penname is set in 1930s California (the first book is called The Girl Who Knew Too Much).  I am over the moon about this new time period, given that most historical romance novels take place in the Regency or Victorian eras.  It’s such a wonderfully unique twist on the subgenre and I’m learning so much new lingo and so many interesting facts.  Did you know how easy it was to commit someone to a sanitarium back in the day?  And how about the prevalence of LSD?  Or how many people thought other people were government spies?  Man, it sounds like a freaking fantastic time.  Yay for learning!

Blurb: After escaping from a private sanitarium, Adelaide Blake arrives in Burning Cove, California, desperate to start over.

Working at an herbal tea shop puts her on the radar of those who frequent the seaside resort town: Hollywood movers and shakers always in need of hangover cures and tonics. One such customer is Jake Truett, a recently widowed businessman in town for a therapeutic rest. But unbeknownst to Adelaide, his exhaustion is just a cover.

In Burning Cove, no one is who they seem. Behind facades of glamour and power hide drug dealers, gangsters, and grifters. Into this make-believe world comes psychic to the stars Madame Zolanda. Adelaide and Jake know better than to fall for her kind of con. But when the medium becomes a victim of her own dire prediction and is killed, they'll be drawn into a murky world of duplicity and misdirection.

Neither Adelaide or Jake can predict that in the shadowy underground they'll find connections to the woman Adelaide used to be--and uncover the specter of a killer who's been real all along...

Review: Funny enough this is not the first book Jayne Ann Krentz has written about a young woman escaping an asylum where she’s been held against her will.  She wrote the book Light In Shadow which is an amazing read about a brave young woman who can hear voices in the walls of rooms where violent acts have occurred.  It’s absolutely fabulous.  But this is the first of its kind under her Amanda Quick penname.

The Other Lady Vanishes is your typical Amanda Quick novel in that it’s absolutely spectacular from start to finish.  I have no clue how she, time and time again, comes up with these dynamic characters, crazy mysteries, and batshit crazy bad guys.  I read this book in a day and I don’t regret the time I spent whatsoever.  Her heroes are awesome because even while they’re, most often, macho alpha men, they’re still romantics at heart with all the sappy thoughts and actions we want from our book boyfriends.

If you’re looking for something to shake up your otherwise somewhat predictable reading list then I one hundred percent recommend this incredible change of pace read.  Get ready to fall down a pit of old Hollywood glitz and glamour with The Other Lady Vanishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment