Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Gunslinger's Vow (Runaway Brides #1) by Amy Sandas

Until this book I'd never read a Western I particularly enjoyed.  I’m just not that into them, I suppose.  So imagine my surprise when I found a novel that brings together everything I love about regency romance and the rugged good looks of a successful bounty hunter and it’s a western!  My reaction was something like “oh shit, this is really good.”  The Gunslinger’s Vow by Amy Sandas is a whirlwind of a story full of adventure and the tantalizing lure of revenge.

Blurb:  Alexandra Brighton spent the lats give years in Boston, erasing all evidence of the wild frontier girl she used to be.  Before she settles, she’s determined to visit her childhoos home one final time.  But when she finds herself stranded far from civilization, she has no choice but to trust her safety to the tall, dark, and decidedly dangerous bounty hunter, Malcom Kincaid.

Now that Malcolm finally has the location of his brother’s killer, he has no interest in wasting time protecting a pampered Eastern lady.  But something about Alexandra speaks to the heart he long thought frozen—and her slow transformation from proper miss to wild-eyed beauty leaves him shaken.  By the time they reach Montana, Malcolm must decide if seeking justice for past wrongs is worth losing future with the woman he never expected to need…

Review:  I think I’m obsessed with cowboys, or more accurately I think I’m obsessed with bounty hunters.  Malcom Kincaid to be exact.  Haven’t I mentioned time and time again that I’m sick of brooding men?  I lied.  I so lied.  Give me brooding, give me surly, give me men bent on revenge.  I don’t care as long as they’re as delicious as Kincaid.  I love a man with talent, too, and Malcolm Kincaid is very good at his job as a bounty hunter.  It’s my absolutely favorite when strong men fall victim to feminine wiles and boy does Malcom make a handsome victim.

Watching Alexandra transform from socialite to the girl she used to be, wild and free on the Montana plains.  Kincaid expected her to be this uppity woman weakened by years in the elegant upper class of Boston, but she proved him wrong, so wrong.  Nothing better than watching a man eat his words.  Alexandra was a powerful force of a heroine.  She was spunky, and courageous, and intelligent; everything you want your female character to be.  I would like to take some lessons from her in regards to how to live my life.

I loved Alex and Kincaid together.  They were the perfect pair if you enjoy the ‘opposites attract’ trope, which I positively love.  Kincaid’s surliness was combated by Alex’s kindness and chatty nature.  Alex’s penchant for getting into trouble was constantly being resolved by the quick-with-the-draw Kincaid.  Both of them found what they so desperately needed from one another: understanding.  I would read a thousand books starring these two if it were possible.

The Gunslinger’s Vow will strike a pleasant chord with those who like their men a little worse for the wear and their women strong and capable. The writing is superb, there’s action every other chapter, and the romance is fabulous… many times over.  It's out June 5th, so pre-order your copy today by clicking here.  I’ll be looking into more works by Amy Sandas, ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment