Saturday, March 25, 2017

Holding Fire by April Hunt

Two words: Alpha. Males.

Holding Fire by April Hunt is the second book in her Alpha Security romance series.  Her first book Heated Pursuit came out in 2016 and earned over 4 stars on Goodreads.  I, of course, haven’t read it because I seem to have a penchant for choosing the second book in a series for these reviews.  Whoops.

April Hunt’s Alpha Security series reminded me a lot of my beloved Black Knights Inc. series by Julie Ann Walker.  Strong, handsome ex-military men who join forces to form security firms to protect those who can afford their lethal skills.  Trey Hanson is alpha, through and through, but lately he’s been hearing a voice (mostly his mother’s) telling him it’s time to settle down.  Enter Elle, a beautiful and charming young woman with whom sparks fly.  After a wildly passionate night together Trey is hearing wedding bells but Elle is hearing warning bells.  Trey is disappointed to discover that Elle wants nothing more than a one-night stand with him, but he’s shocked when it turns out that she’s also his newest assignment.

Hunt’s characters are dynamic, captivating, and complicated.  The chemistry between Elle and Trey was completely believable and I wanted to reach through the pages and throttle Elle for being so guarded with her heart.  I certainly wouldn’t have been had Trey been putting the moves on me.  I really want to go back and read her first book because I loved the little glimpses of those characters, as well as though I believe will be featured in her third novel.  The women are strong, independently, and powerful people who, when push comes to shove, aren’t afraid to let help come from a strong man (with a little encouragement).

I’m not going to tell you that this book will WOW you with its originality.  It won’t.  It’s your run of the mill Alpha male-security firm romance novel (I honestly believe there’s enough out there to give them their own subgenre).  But I will say that the writing is really good, the humor is definitely there, and the men will make your toes curl.


Pick up the first book on your Kindle for only 2.99 and then pre-order the second.  It comes out March 28th so you won’t have a torturously long wait before you can fall back into her world of danger, excitement, and hot protection units.  

No comments:

Post a Comment