Tuesday, February 27, 2018

One More Promise (Band on the Run #2) by Samantha Chase


I love when the main characters in my romance novels are as book-obsessed as I am.  People who love books deserve their happily-ever-after more than anyone else.  That’s my opinion but it’s also a fact.

Paige Walters is ecstatic to finally be given the opportunity to prove herself in the family public relations business, especially since she’s usually stuck in her perfect sister’s shadow.  But when her sister hijacks her literary campaign and forces her to work side-by-side with a rock star fresh from rehab she thinks she’s hit a new low.  Still, she believes in this campaign and will do anything to make it successful, even if it means babysitting this infuriating man who is just looking for an easy way to fulfill his community service hours.

The main conflict in this novel isn’t necessarily the relationship between Dylan and Paige, which is weirdly refreshing.  There’s tons of drama, but it comes mostly from outside sources: her father, her sister, the press, the campaign, etc.  Paige and Dylan have their crazy moments, of course, but they mostly stem from two independent people spending a lot of time together.

The book was a very pleasant read.  I don’t know that it completely, absolutely wowed me, but I wasn’t bored reading it.  I enjoyed the (not always friendly) teasing between the Paige and Dylan, but I also loved the sweet moments they experienced with one another.  Contemporary romances always have a way of sneaking right through to my heart and prodding it gently.  The ‘between-the-sheets’ moments were romantic without being raunchy, sweet without being explosive.  And sometimes that’s why you want (though I do tend towards the more erotic novels most of the time).

Paige’s family was the cause of most of my stress during this read.  Her father, infuriating.  Her sister, more so.  I don’t know why family issues get to me so much (especially since I, myself, have a relatively drama-free family), but there’s something about jerk relatives that makes my blood boil.  The only disappointing part of this novel was that I didn’t feel Paige didn’t get the vindication she deserved after everything they put her through—but I suppose that not everyone is the ‘torch the bridge’ type when they’ve been wronged.

All in all, One More Promise was sweet and entertaining.  A good addition to the Band on the Run series by Samantha Chase. It's out now, check it out here.

1 comment: