Friday, January 12, 2018

Promise Not To Tell by Jayne Ann Krentz

Those who know me well know this story already, but I’m going to tell it again anyways because it personifies my existence as a romance reader.  In the eighth grade I found myself having read through the collection of romance YA books that I could find among the shelves of my local library.  Desperate for something more than light kissing in my novels I ventured out into the adult fiction section and looked for a book that I thought would scream romance.  I came across Absolutely Positively by Jayne Ann Krentz—a novel that had a hot pink cover and a white sticker with a heart and the word ROMANCE in bright red lettering.  Jackpot.

Since then I’ve been an avid reader of Jayne.  She’s one of the only authors that I’ll purchase a book hardcover from (hardcovers don’t fit into my organizational system that well) and I pre-order her books the moment they hit the internet waves. I own almost every one of her novels, including those from other names including Amanda Quick, Jayne Castle, and Stephanie James.  Everyone who knows me knows Jayne Ann Krentz is my jam.

I’m not going to lie and say that every novel by Jayne Ann Krentz is unique.  At this point those books under the name Jayne Ann Krentz all seem to follow the same general theme.  Romantic suspense novel.  Vegetarian, independent female with a traumatic past.  Strong, alpha male with odd quirks who is really good at some form of martial arts.  A twist you never see coming.  That’s the funniest part, that last part, that despite my knowing that I’m going to be thrown through a loop I’m never expecting it and I never am able to guess the ending. 

Still, growing accustomed to a basic plot outline does not equate to boredom in my book.  Every one of her novels has some part of it that allows it to stand on its own.  I love, love, love her ability to make me feel empowered as a woman just by giving me something to admire in a female character.  I love that the alpha men in her stories are not threatened by strong women and encourage them to bring their strengths to the table.  The characters in her books are on equal footing and form partnerships that should be revered by readers everywhere.

Promise Not To Tell is no exception to the amazing rule.  It is, however, the second in three connecting books which is rather odd for Jayne Ann Krentz who will often write multiple books in the same world, but rarely connects one major mystery across three separate novels.  Though I despise having a mystery left unsolved at the end of a novel I am most intrigued by this sadistic cult and the leader who ruined so many lives.

This particular novel follows Victoria Troy and Cabot Sutter who, two decades ago, were nearly murdered by the leader of the cult they were members of as children.  After the suspicious death of Victoria’s friend, who was also a former cult member, Cabot and Victoria come together to determine whether the leader, who supposedly died many years ago, is still alive and kicking.  And, more importantly, whether he’s coming after the fortune their mother’s stole from him before he killed them—the fortune he thinks they have the key to finding.

I always tell people that romance novels are not always about the relationship between the two main characters.  Sometimes they are, sure.  But sometimes the romance plays second fiddle to an incredible plot.  And that’s always the case with Jayne Ann Krentz novels, much to my surprise and delight.  That’s not to say that the romance isn’t beautiful and erotic, however.  Her characters come together with as much passion and desire as any couple out there, the only difference is that there’s an extraordinary understanding between the characters that makes you feel, without doubt, that the two were meant to find one another.  That they could not survive without the other’s support.

All in all, Promise Not To Tell was a more than dramatic read with twists and turns that I never expected.  I read though it so quickly, desperate to know the ending, and now I’m left with a hole in my heart that won’t be filled under the mystery is solved in her next story.  If you want a fabulous mystery, intense characters, and fantastic writing you need to pick up a book by Jayne Ann Krentz.  It doesn’t have to be this one, but it does have to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment