Thursday, December 28, 2017

2 For 1: "The Art of Running in Heels" and "Simply Irresistible" by Rachel Gibson


When I received my Avon Addicts package in the mail I was over the moon.  A box full of books from a variety of authors and genres is a blogger’s dream come true.  When I received the box I was a hairbreadths away from moving out of our apartment and it seemed as though every other item of mine was packed away in some sort of box.  So, I opted for the e-book included in the box, The Art of Running in Heels by Rachel Gibson.

The Art of Running in Heels is the classic story of a runaway bride.  Lexie Kowalsky entered a competition much like The Bachelor and won herself a husband.  Only… when the time comes to marry him she leaves him standing at the altar, hops a seaplane, and meets Sean Knox, hockey player for the Chinooks.  Lexie isn’t looking for a new husband, but she can’t help but be drawn to the closed-off knight in rusted armor.  Too bad Sean isn’t interested in getting to know the bubbly blonde who has been forced into his life.

I think that this novel will be particularly alluring to fans of dating shows who love the drama that comes along with competing to date another person.  It was big boobs meets small dogs which probably won’t make any sense until you read this book.

Lexie was brash, bold, and unapologetic.  Sean was a cocky basted who wasn’t looking for anything past a one-night stand.  Together they made quite an oddball pairing, but in the end they seemed to work out, building off one another’s strengths and filling in each other’s weaknesses.

I don’t know that I particularly related to either character.  Lexie was over-the-top all the time and it got rather tiresome hearing about her boobs all the time (from her and from Sean).  Lexie also enjoyed preaching her opinion all the time, repetitively.  Honestly, though, despite the fact that it bothered me I think it was actually rather realistic and I can’t exactly fault Ms. Gibson for that now can I?  Sean was sort of an asshole, but you know, I’ve enjoyed assholes before and I could enjoy them again.  Their faults don’t make them bad people… I suppose it just makes them seem most like people.

There were parts I liked and parts I didn’t like about this novel, but I really think this is one of those times that the reader is going to have to decide for themselves.  I didn’t put it down, but I don’t know if it’ll go on be shelf to reread.

Funnily enough, after reading The Art of Running in Heels I picked up Simply Irresistible to discover that it is the story of Georgeanne Howard and John Kowalsky… parents to Lexie.

Though I didn’t necessarily love The Art of Running in Heels I very much enjoyed Simply Irresistible.  It was dramatic, hilarious, and full of awkward missteps between both characters.  Georgeanne, it turns out, is the original ‘runaway bride’, leaving her rich fiancé—twice her age—at the altar and hitching a ride with the oblivious John Kowalsky, player on her would-be husband’s hockey team.

Georgeanne has spent her entire life using her wit and charms to cover for her learning disability.  She knew she would never be the smartest one around, but she worked hard to ensure she’d always be the prettiest and most well-mannered.  Only… John doesn’t think so.  John only sees a ditsy, buxom blonde good for the bed but not for a partner.  After a quick one night stand he dumps Georgeanne off at the airport and says good riddance.  But seven years later he discovers that Georgeanne never went back home… and she has a secret she’s been keeping from him.

This book was drama and southern charm done right.  At the start of the novel Georgie was a rather immature young woman with a romanticized view of the world and John was a jaded asshole with a large number of personal issues.  I absolutely adored the character progression when the story fast forwarded seven years.  Georgeanne found her confidence and became more than what she’d been labelled as a child with a learning disability and I was so excited to see that.


I don’t want to spoil too much, so I won’t go into depth about the secret that blows both their lives wide open, but it’s quite a riveting twist that will keep your nose to the page.  Overall, I really enjoyed this novel with its quirks and hilarity.  I guess it isn’t so strange that I would adore one novel in a series and be lukewarm regarding another series.  It happens all the time.  I would definitely recommend Rachel Gibson’s work for fans of sports romances, despite the fact that it’s light on the sports and heavy on the romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment