Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Pawn by Skye Warren

Title: The Pawn (Endgame Series #1)
Author: Skye Warren
Publication Date: OUT NOW, BEEN OUT A WHILE, I’M JUST REALLY BEHIND IN THE TIMES

Do you ever read a book and you’re so glad that you’re in the privacy of your own home?  Well, I read this book on an elliptical in a public gym at eleven in the morning.  Let me tell you right now… reading erotica on an elliptical in the middle. of. a. public. gym. is not a joyful time.  I was sweating and only 50% of it was from the workout.  The other 50% was a reaction from the explosive chemistry between Gabriel and Avery.

Blurb from Goodreads:

The price of survival… Gabriel Miller swept into my life like a storm. He tore down my father with cold retribution, leaving him penniless in a hospital bed. I quit my private all-girl’s college to take care of the only family I have left. There’s one way to save our house, one thing I have left of value. My virginity.

A forbidden auction… Gabriel appears at every turn. He seems to take pleasure in watching me fall. Other times he’s the only kindness in a brutal underworld. Except he's playing a deeper game than I know. Every move brings us together, every secret rips us apart. And when the final piece is played, only one of us can be left standing.

Review:

Are you turned on just from reading that description? Am I allowed to ask that of my blog readers? I don’t know.  This is one of those books that I heard about, but wasn’t going to actively seek out as I’ve already got nine million books on my wait-list, but it came up for free on Amazon one weekend and I couldn’t resist.  So, when I needed a book to read on my Kindle while working my butt off I figured, why not?

I did an hour of cardio.  Want to know the last time I did an hour of cardio?  Never.  I told myself, “You are not getting off this elliptical until this book is done.”  I’m a fast reader and the book isn’t all that long, but I will admit to frantically flipping electronic pages desperate to find out what happens.

The book is a little darker than your average erotica, in my opinion. Avery, star of the virginity auction, is pretty young & there’s the whole… you know, auctioning off her virginity portion.  But of course she’s not about to get forced into anything she doesn’t want (wink wink, can you wink in text?).  If you don’t find the idea of a virginity auction, a hot dangerous man, and mild dominant/submissive relationships then I’ll tell you right now this book won’t tickle your fancy.

The relationship between Gabriel and Avery is explosive.  Madly so.  I don’t know that the character development is as fleshed out in this book as it could be, especially with Gabriel, but the later books (at least as far as I’ve read) make up for that.  You want to become Avery.  You want to become Gabriel.  You want to fall into their relationship and get drunk on the passion.

When The Pawn ended I clicked “Purchase” on the next book in the series so quickly I almost sprained my pointer finger (it was a phone purchase, obviously).  I suggest you give this book a chance if you’re a fan of the Crossfire Series, 50 Shades of Grey, Anne Rice, or anything of the like.

Purchase here for a Kindle version.  Otherwise, please support your local independent bookstore and order it from them.  Your money matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment