Saturday, November 5, 2016

2 For 1: Under Her Skin by Adriana Anders and Reckless Hearts by Reckless Van Fleet


My new husband and I recently went to Ireland for our honeymoon.  Knowing I had an eight hour flight ahead of me I downloaded a not-yet-published books to my Kindle.  I was desperately hoping I’d made good choices and wouldn’t be stuck with a handful of terribly written sleazy novels (the well written sleazy novels are awesome, obviously). 

UNDER HER SKIN- ADRIANA ANDERS

Under Her Skin by Adriana Anders was an excellent choice for an airplane read.  When you’re on an airplane you, like myself, probably don’t want a novel that will have you blushing and twitching in your seat for your seat neighbor (the one who isn’t your husband) to notice.  You, also, want something that’s going to keep you from remembering that you’re thousands of feet in the air.  Under Your Skin fit both of my necessary criteria.

On the run from an abusive relationship Uma longs for two things: safety, and to get the tattoos that her ex-boyfriend forced on her removed.  She has no time for strong, bearded men who seem to have taken an interest in her.  But, there’s something about Ivan that makes her want to share her deepest, most painful secrets… maybe it’s because Ivan seems to be hiding some secrets of his own.

Under Her Skin was a different sort of novel.  While reading it I remember thinking, “Wow, this is something else.”  My heart wept for Uma and her horrific experience at the hands of her ex-boyfriend.  I desperately wanted to reach through the pages and offer comfort of my own, but as is the problem with books it was impossible to do.  I was so thankful when strong, handsome Ivan came into the picture to relieve her of some of her pain.

The intimate scenes were fabulously done.  It was mind-numbing getting to see ex-con Ivan cater to Uma’s fears and past by offering her something no other person ever had: his total submission.  Now, this book isn’t a dominatrix book, by any means (I’ve read a couple of those), but watching Ivan, with his rough exterior, let Uma take control of what was happening between them both endeared me to him and their story, but also got my blood pumping (but not too much, for an airplane, you know).

Under Her Skin is the perfect choice for someone who wants a new twist on an alpha male story.  The writing was spot on and beautifully done, Adriana Anders has some serious talent for making you feel and making you want.  If you want to check out Under Her Skin, and I strongly suggest you do, it comes out February 2017.  I know that Adriana Anders will be on my to-read list from here on out.

RECKLESS HEARTS- HEATHER VAN FLEET

Reckless Hearts by Heather Van Fleet had quite a bit of things that tend to get my interested in a romance novel: ex-marines, a single father, the promise of a series, etc.  So, I picked it up excited to read what was sure to be an explosively sexy book.  What I got, however, was a pretty big disappointment.

Collin Montgomery’s girlfriend dies only weeks before he returns from Iraq, leaving him a single father to a newborn.  Finding it difficult to master single parenthood, a social life, and a full-time job Collin’s friends, and sister, convince him that he needs a nanny.  Cue Addison Booker, a girl desperate for a job even if it means working closely with sexy, annoying, frustrating Collin Montgomery.  Collin needs Addison.  She’s perfect for Chloe.  And maybe for him, which is why it’s so difficult to keep his hands off her.  But if can’t he might ruin everything.

I was really pulling for this novel.  I was hoping for a sexy alpha man brought to his knees by a strong, independent woman.  What I got was two annoying characters who didn’t know what they wanted and flip flopped constantly regarding their feelings.  An example of Collin’s mindset: can’t keep my hands off her, kiss her, can’t do this, kiss her, gotta stay away, kiss her, be a dick to her, kiss her, I love her, let’s get married.  An example of Addison’s mindset: he kissed me, I hate him, never going back, wait he called, kind of forgive him, kiss him, I’m annoyed by him, kiss him, we’re moving too fast, I love him.

The whole back-and-forth thing was exhausting.  I like a little chase in my romance, but oh my god, this was simply too much.  Also, I found his lack of respect for his infant daughter appalling.  Let’s not ask this girl you’ve known for 3 months to move in and be a stay-at-home mother to your daughter.  You’ve known her three months and didn’t even really like her that much until a week ago. That’s just bad parenting.

The secondary characters were just as upsetting.  It’s clear that Heather Van Fleet is setting up a series with two of Collin’s friends and his sister, but her attempts to intrigue you with their subplots fell short.  Gavin and Max, ex-marines themselves, were complete and total assholes with zero boundaries in regards to women.  Their treatment of Addison, and other women in her life, were those of typical guys who think women exist for their entertainment.  It turned me off completely.

Heather Van Fleet made many attempts to breathe some life into the plot with a few opportunities for drama, but the drama never escalated and eventually fizzled out without much of a revival to the storyline. 

The writing was decent, the dialogue was realistic, and I so wanted to love this book, but the positives just couldn’t outweigh the negatives in the long run.  Reckless Hearts comes out February 2017 if any of the above sounds like something you'd enjoy.

 If you love ex-marines and alpha males who treat their women right check out: Julie Ann Walker and her series of bad boy bikers.  Now there’s some good writing.

I just received a huge bundle of romance novels so there will be plenty of new reviews coming soon.  Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment