Friday, June 17, 2016

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

I never thought I would be saying this, but I think I’m actually starting to enjoy the romance sub-genre of ‘proper romance’.   My first foray into this type of novel was with Beauty and the Clockwork Beast, a wonderful steampunk proper romance that I reviewed a couple weeks ago.  The same publisher who gave me a copy of that book also gave me two others that he thought I would enjoy, one of which is Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. 

Marianne, reeling from the loss of her mother, is abandoned by her father in the care of her grandmother.  Marianne is not your typical lady.  She likes reading, and riding horses, and twirling, and she is completely bored with her life.  When she is invited to stay with family friends at their estate she jumps at the chance for a little excitement.  She never thought that excitement would come from falling in love with a handsome, irritating, arrogant man.

This book was absolutely adorable.  Now, that might not sound like the kind of romance novel you are looking for, especially if you normally read the sort of stuff that makes your whole body flush, but bear with me.  There was genuine chemistry between the characters, the sort of banter that had be laughing out loud, and just enough mystery to keep you wondering what was going to happen next. 

Over the years I have noticed that my reading has progressed from these more innocent type of romance novels to the brazen, erotic sort.  Reading these proper romances brings me back to when I first started reading and brings me back to my own first loves.  It reminds me when I’d feel warm for days just from exchanging simple kisses with my crush. 

I think it takes a great amount of talent to make your reader’s heart flip and their blood heat from flirting and kissing.  Julianne Donaldson definitely has that sort of talent.  Edenbrooke was everything I would want from a novel:  intriguing, filled with passion, and delightfully romantic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment