Thursday, April 28, 2016

Signs Point to Yes by Sandy Hall

Yesterday, I finished reading A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall and was, for the most part, disappointed by the unique fourteen viewpoint style and the clichéd plot.  However, I was not about to let one subpar reading cloud my entire judgement of an author’s work.  I began reading Signs Point to Yes early this morning while the children I nanny were in their sports classes (the perfect time to start a book, in my opinion). 
                                                                                                                  
Signs Point to Yes follows Teo and Jane, both seventeen year old high schoolers, as they navigate their summers.  The two used to be friends way back in their elementary days, but they have not spoken in years, in part due to Teo’s best friend, Ravi, who absolutely despises Jane (the feelings are mutual).  Teo is working as a life guard this summer while Jane is hired as the nanny to Teo’s half-sisters.  Suddenly the two of them are spending much more time together than they had ever expected.  All Jane wants is to waste her summer writing fanfiction with her trusty Magic 8 Ball by her side, but now she’s using her Magic 8 Ball for purposes she never expected: navigating her crush on Teo, and maybe, possibly helping him track down his biological father. 

Honestly, I enjoyed this book more than her debut novel, which only proves to me that it was more the specific style of the novel than Hall’s writing style over all that turned me off of A Little Something Different.  I finished the book in around four hours (the reading went rather quickly once I was able to put the children down for a nap). Overall, Signs Point to Yes was a cute, simple read.  I found myself routing for the characters at times, and there were a few moments where I may have said “aw” audibly to myself.  I, also, liked the Magic 8 Ball twist as it brought me back to my childhood when all my questions were answered by a simple shake of a magic ball.

Still, the book had quite a few flaws.  For one, I felt that Hall was trying to cram a lot of drama into the book.  Teo’s search for his biological father was more than enough mystery for me.  I did not feel that the Ravi/Jane animosity added to the story in any way (and by the way, the resolution was unrealistic and childish), nor did I feel like Margo’s whole “situation” (I am trying not to post spoilers) was important in any way.  The added troubles only detracted from the romantic relationship between Teo and Jane and their quest to find his father.

Was Signs Point to Yes a particularly thought-provoking novel?  No.  Was it the sort of book I might recommend to someone who is looking for a romance novel that will make them blush?  Not in the least.  Did the book thrill me and leave me wanting for more?  Nope.  But, if you want an easy, PG way to pass the time, perhaps in an airport or while waiting for a friend to show up to lunch, then this book would be right up your alley. 

2.5/5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment