Monday, November 7, 2016

Seven Minutes in Heaven by Eloisa James

I had never read an Eloisa James novel prior to picking up Seven Minutes in Heaven, but I recognized her name as one of the popular regency romance novelists in our bookshop.  I thought that the title was a bit strange, a modern day concept as a title for a historical time period, but it isn’t long into the novel before you discover exactly why the novel was given that title.

Edward “Ward” Reeve is desperate for a governess for the two half siblings that have been unceremoniously dumped into his lap. Eugenia Snowe, widow and owner of the premier governess placement agency, is his first call.  When they meet they discover, much to Ward’s pleasure and Eugenia’s dismay, they have a passion that cannot be ignored.  Eugenia is just the sort of person Ward’s half-siblings need to learn the ins and outs of society, and the sort of person to finally awaken Ward’s mind and desire, but will a misunderstanding between the two of them lead to utter disappointment?

I love regency romance novels.  I’m exceptionally particular to Stephanie James and Amanda Quick, but wow, Eloisa James is certainly someone whose books I want lining my shelves.

Her characters were witty and the dialogue was hilarious and totally realistic (at least with how I imagine stuffy lords and ladies would talk, since I have no actual life experience).  I totally loved how quirky and unique the children were paired with the ridiculous situations they got themselves into.  I admit I have a soft spot for storylines with children… they always add some light-hearted fun into the tense adult drama.

The romance was wooooosh.  It had my heart beating pretty quickly a few different times.  Ward was definitely a force to be reckoned with while Eugenia was no innocent, blushing bride, that’s for sure. 

As for the “misunderstanding”.  The reader knows what it is pretty much right from the start, but that didn’t keep me from panicking as Ward dug himself a deeper and deeper hole, unbeknownst to him.  I won’t spoil it, but I will say that I thought I was going to have a panic attack if Ward didn’t figure his shit out soon.

I will 100% be coming back for Ms. Eloisa James.  I recommend Seven Minutes in Heaven to anyone who loves regency/historical novels with strong, powerful women who aren’t afraid to stand up for themselves and their worth (no matter how others define it).  Ward is a swoon-worthy alpha male that will be invading many women’s fantasies starting January 2017.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this lovely review, Kate! I'm in that scary moment when reviews are just starting to come in. Kirkus gave it a star -- and you (metaphorically) gave it a star, so you've made my day! (This is Eloisa -- I'm having trouble not commenting as my daughter since she's been messing with my computer)

    ReplyDelete